Sunday, September 18, 2011

Frustrating.

Today could have been so different. The latest round of the Yorkshire Points cyclocross series was in the village where I was born and raised, and where 80% of my family still live within 3 miles of. To say it was my home race would be putting it mildly, however I was not in a fit state to take part. I turned up not even sure why I was there, half a practice lap later I knew I wouldn't be racing. I had the lung capacity of an asthmatic budgie and no power anywhere. A real shame as it was a pretty good course, maybe not ideally suited to my lack of tech skills but would have been a good test.
The whole day has highlighted a few things for me and given me some points to work on in the near future, also raised a question I've been thinking about for a while;
Are West Yorkshire cyclists 'harder' than those from York and surrounding area?
I certainly think cyclists in York can suffer from a lack of drive and camaraderie that those from the Halifax area seem to have in bucket loads. Maybe it's just the lack of hills, it could be something deeper like the differences between the working and middle class populations or it could just be rubbish and we're all the same.