Sunday, April 19, 2009

On a Sunday.

I fancied a change of pace today, so took the chance for a stroll into town. Sometimes when you live in York it's easy to grow accustomed to the surroundings and not fully appreciate what is on your own doorstep. Watching the tourists on any given weekend brings it back to me, the sheer number of people who take trips here is amazing. In other cities I have lived, the town centre would be busy with local shoppers and people hanging out, but York has this and more. Maybe it's the history and architecture or just the atmosphere of the place, which draws people in.
The trick is to go into town early before the stag/hen party crowds wake up to walk off their hangovers from the night before. I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment but I did treat myself to coffee and french toast in the cinema bar, overlooking the river in the sunshine, it was only lack of my favourite person that spoilt an otherwise great morning.
So, now I'm back home, it's a lovely Spring day but after yesterdays ride my body is not up for another several hours in the saddle. The next best thing then is to watch some cycling, another Spring Classic the "Amstel Gold Race". Maybe later a quick spin of the legs down to the river with the other half to enjoy the last of the weekend, before being back to full time hours at work starting tomorrow.