Sunday, April 12, 2009

Have you suffered, starved and triumphed, grovelled down yet grasped at glory, grown bigger in the bigness of the whole?

The Call of the Wild – Jack London

What a weekend. Almost did my first century ride by accident yesterday, 90 miles door to door on a clubrun up to Masham from York. I actually felt really strong throughout the whole ride but especially when we set off from the cafe after lunch. The road out of Masham climbed steadily and consistently, and encouraged you to ride hard. It's definitely an area I want to ride and explore more this Summer, perhaps even making a weekend of it.
Today I watched Paris-Roubaix 'live' for the first time, through the wonders of the internet. In a classic case of keeping your head while all about you lose their's, Tom Boonen won in fine style. When he punctured in the lead group of six riders, the bike change was fast and made it look like the others had stopped riding, he was that fast getting back to them. In contrast bad luck and simple mistakes put pay to the chances of those same riders in the group with him.

So, with another dose of Spring Classics done with and hopefully enough inspiration gathered for the coming season, I'm looking forward to some miles in the sun (and wearing my Mapei jersey I just bought cheap on ebay)