Monday, February 23, 2009

Exactly what I needed.

We had a hard week, last week, but the weekend put a lot of things right again.
Whoever said 'laughter is the best medicine' was spot on. Friday night's mix of laughs, good food and good conversation eased my mind of thoughts I'd been clinging on to for the wrong reasons.
The ride, or more specifically, the climb out of Birdsall on Saturday morning allowed to me to forget them all forever. For once, I didn't try to power my way to the top, instead I sat up and enjoyed the view. It still hurt but the task took on another meaning. As well as trying for progression in fitness, the ride became more about the journey, the places we were passing through and what they meant to each of us. At the end I was as tired mentally as physically, but I awoke refreshed with the hope shedding some mental baggage will help me enjoy future rides more than ever before.
Sunday was quiet. Filled with eating, reading the paper and enjoying the company of each other.