Monday, April 16, 2007

believe

This morning I went along to a selection meeting for an exhibition thats happening next month. As usually happens I got pretty nervous and then afterwards had a complete loss of confidence. So much so that I convinced myself I'd blown any chance of being included.
Imagine my surprise when about five minutes ago I receive an email saying the two pieces I took to the meeting have been accepted but also they want two more as well because they would prefer to show a series of four!

I think my problem stems from a basic lack of confidence and coupled with my over-active imagination/thought processes I can talk myself out of pretty much anything. The more I seem to put my work out there, the more positive feedback I receive, yet its hard for me to truly believe. There's a point when modesty does you no favors, obviously arrogance is worse but under-selling yourself can be just as damaging.

All my life people have told me you don't get anywhere if you don't ask or try, gradually I'm seeing how true that is.