Monday, October 04, 2010

F**king cyclocross.

It feels like I've waited all year for my first cx race and I go and pick the wettest and muddiest day I've ever seen, but then again it's probably right it happened that way.
On a course that wasn't particularly suited to my lack of technical skills, I was having my own little battle of 25th place before two crashes in quick succession meant I DNF'd. It would have been great to finish but looking back I have no regrets, the likely hood of doing myself some lasting damage on another lap was quite high, as it was I get to walk away (quite badly bruised) but still keen to come back and race again.
It was great to meet a couple of the 'Belgians' and have support at the side of the race. I also couldn't have managed without my mate Rob supporting in way of Chief Mechanic (and bike washer)
Looks like I might be taking advantage of another kit reorder as my jersey is still stained with mud after two washes!


On the other side of life I'm making the trip to the other side of the Pennines on the 6.30am train to Manchester everyday this week for my Cytech bike mechanics course. Didn't appreciate the early morning but the day went well.
One thing I have to comment on is the abundance of electronic devices ordinary people have today, on the way home I watched one guy mess on his iPhone, then use a mobile organiser device, then start listening to his iPod Nano at the same time as reading from one of those Amazon electronic readers! I'm only 26 and already I'm asking the question what happened to cassettes and real books?